Cricket began to be played in Storrington during the late 18th Century on the Common to the west of the Village adjacent to the pond alongside the road to Pulborough.
One of England’s most prominent cricketers at that time: John Hammond, born in Pulborough, played for Storrington and Sussex. He also played in the first Gentlemen v Players match at Lord’s in 1806. Hammond family cricketers gave long and valued service to the Storrington Club during the 19th Century. And, Ernest Hammond was the landlord at the White Horse Hotel when in 1891 two teams played a game of cricket on the frozen pond at Chantry - wearing top hats and skates - which received a detailed report in the Sporting Life magazine.
In July 1800, the Storrington Club achieved a famous 19 run victory over a Sussex County team; and that success was repeated in 1811. The Club held its own version of Gentlemen v Players in 1868; and in the following season a score of 325 runs was amassed against Midhurst- such a high score being most unusual in those days. In 1878 the Club went on tour to the Isle of Wight where a 3 wickets victory was achieved over the Sandown Club.
In the 20th Century more cricketing notables were involved with the Club. Hugh de Selincourt, who captained the Club in the 1920’s, found fame as the author of two books about a fictional village team called Tillingford in which characters based on Storrington players featured prominently. And, Arthur Gilligan, the former Sussex and England captain who eventually became President of the MCC, was President of Storrington Cricket Club from 1954 until his death in 1976. It was only in the late fifties that the Club’s current emblem of a white swan was adopted, having been designed by Ron Carter whose family was another that has featured prominently in the Club’s long history.
In 1978, the Club was a founder member of the Sussex Invitation League, and the 1st XI became the first champions that year. The League’s first hundred came from a Storrington bat - wielded by Trevor Willmott - and another hundred soon followed from the bat of John Carter, one of Ron’s three cricketing sons. In 1980 a Storrington bowler - Doug James- achieved another milestone when taking all ten wickets in a single innings in a match against Southwick.
Today in the 21st Century, the Club continues to play League cricket on Saturdays and “friendlies” on Sundays. There are not too many cricket clubs in the country that have spanned four centuries. Storrington Cricket Club is proud to be one of them.